|Gary’s Place, part of Jewish Family and Children’s Services’ Shupin Community, is a beautiful 6,000 square foot furnished home in Laurel Heights. Designed as an 18–24-month program, Gary’s Place offers residents independent living skills support to further their journey towards greater independence.Gary’s Place features:
- Individual bedrooms and bathrooms
- Two large common areas for socializing and recreation
- A home gym for staying fit and active
- Daily cooking lessons
- All meals are provided
- 24/7 staff support
Each resident receives sessions on developing interpersonal skills, and instruction from nutritionists, fitness, and expressive arts professionals. Residents learn skills such as managing finances, keeping a clean home, preparing meals, and navigating transportation and interpersonal relationships.
Friday nights, residents from both Gary’s Place and our apartment building across the street, Shupin House, come together to welcome in Shabbat, share a meal, play games, and socialize with others in our community. You do not need to be Jewish to participate.
Qualifications for Gary’s Place residents:
- Male with developmental/intellectual disabilities between 20-35 years old
- Can independently complete ADLs (eating, bathing, dressing, toileting, and mobility)
- Is motivated to live an independently outside of their family’s home
- Can participate in a group with a 1:4 staff to resident ratio
- Can emotionally regulate with minimal support
- Is not aggressive