- This event has passed.
San Francisco Ballet’s First-Ever Sensory-Friendly Nutcracker!
NUTCRACKER SENSORY-FRIENDLY PERFORMANCE
DECEMBER 21 – 7:00 pm
The world-famous SFB is thrilled to announce that the world-famous San Francisco Ballet is hosting its first ever Sensory Friendly Performance of Nutcracker! This full-length performance with live orchestra will provide a relaxed, shush-free environment for audience members of all ages and abilities to experience this magical holiday tradition in a safe and comfortable atmosphere.
Sensory Friendly Performances are designed to create a welcoming performing arts experience for people with autism, sensory input disorders, sensory sensitivities, or other physical, cognitive, or developmental disabilities, and their families, friends, and caretakers. In collaboration with our community partners from Autism Society San Francisco Bay Area, SF Ballet has made special accommodations to the performance and theater-going experience to make neurodiverse audiences feel welcome to enjoy Nutcracker in a fun, accepting environment.
WHAT MAKES THIS PERFORMANCE SENSORY FRIENDLY?
- Audience members are invited to come to the performance and be themselves! Expectations for audience etiquette at this performance will be relaxed; talking or vocalizing is accepted, and patrons can move freely in their seats and the aisles during the performance, within appropriate safety parameters.
- House lights will remain on at a low level throughout the entirety of the performance.
- Some loud sounds and startling moments are modified for this performance.
- Fidget objects, noise-reducing headphones, and other sensory tools or devices are allowed inside the theater during the performance. Audience members can also feel free to bring their own comfort items with them into the theater.
- Entering and exiting the theater is allowed throughout the performance. Designated quiet spaces will be available for audience members who may need to take a break from the performance.
- Every level will have restrooms designated as gender-neutral family restrooms for accessibility.
- Audience members will have access to social stories and resource materials to help prepare for the Nutcracker experience before the performance.
- Assistive listening devices will be available for patrons with hearing impairment.
- Wheelchair-accessible seating options are located in the Orchestra, Dress Circle, and Box levels.
For additional assistance with selecting seats to best accommodate the accessibility needs of your party, please contact Ticketing Services at [email protected] or 415-865-2000. Phone lines are open Monday through Friday, from 10 AM – 4 PM.
*Although the performance on December 21 at 7 PM is adapted specifically to accommodate individuals with special needs and/or sensory sensitivities, the general public is welcome to attend. All patrons are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the adjustments of the Sensory Friendly Performance in order to help create a welcoming and accommodating environment for all audience members.
War Memorial Opera House, 301 Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco
Doors open at 6:00 PM. Performance starts at 7:00 PM and ends at approximately 9:00 PM
The performance running time is approximately 2 hours with one intermission
Parking and Transit Information